Collective Management Organization (CMO)
These non-profit organizations are responsible for licensing, tracking, and collecting publishing royalties earned, and then paying them out to the respective songwriters and/or publishers. CMOs generally have an open and non-discriminatory criteria to join, are owned by its members, and typically need legal authorization to operate. Each CMO operates within a specific country or territory and may vary in the type of royalties they collect.
- Performing Rights Organizations
- Mechanical Rights Organization (MRO)
- Rights Administration Entity (RAE)
- Pay Source
- Music Publishing
- Defining Pay Sources: The Difference Between a PRO and CMO
- A Guide to Key Pay Sources in the U.S.
- A Guide to Key Pay Sources in Mexico
- A Guide to Key Pay Sources in the United Kingdom
- A Guide to Key Pay Sources in Brazil
- A Guide to Key Pay Sources in Ireland
- Modern Publishing Fact: Collective Management Organization
- Where does Songtrust collect royalties from?
- What is a collective management organization?
Go back to Glossary